Join our Free E-Mail List

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Spring Thaw!

Well:
Gale is cooking up dinner and I thought I would write a short note to keep you posted on the spring ice and warming sensation!!!! It is 5pm. Sat. evening and the rain is coming down and there is a winter storm warning in Manitoba for snow and high winds. For those of you that don't know, what Manitoba get's for weather we usually get in some degree a bit later. The weather man is calling for a lousy weekend with rain and wind and below normal temps. I was out on the lake a week ago doing some work on the docks that were exposed above the ice and the ice is not very thick. I think once we get a bit of hot sun and a bit of wind it will not take long to get rid of it. Some years the ice is real clear and firm and this Good ice usually takes a bit longer to break down.

I am sticking my neck out (but that's what you want!) and predicting the ice will be off the lake by the 15th. of May. It usually is out from the bay a week or so before the main part of the lake lets go completely. I don't hear of any above normal temps. in the forecast but if there is it will help the situation.

Enough of the ice stuff and I can tell you that if you are not booked to fish the first couple of weeks of season this year you are going to miss some fabulous fishing. The weather has been similar to many years past with ice out just before the opener and that is conducive to real good numbers and size of fish. We have been spoiled in the last few years with early springs and easy winters so the fish have moved into their early patterns before the season started.
I will take a few pictures for you to see in the next day or so of the ice situation and post them on this blog. I was going to do it today but it's flipping raining. Take Care and we will update you on the going's on ASAP.

BOB


No comments: